International Post-doctoral Fellowships in Marine Sciences
LabexMER proposes new international fellowships for young scientists in Marine Sciences
The brightest young scientists are also the most creative. They are able to conceive and carry out independent research. The existing funding for post-doctoral researchers in France is targeted most of the time at very specific projects that do not leave enough opportunities for independent research and creative ideas. To overcome this problem, the LabexMER partners are creating a new post-doctoral program. It is inspired by successful similar programs such as the U.S. NOAA Climate Change and Global Change postdoctoral program or WHOI postdoctoral fellowship. It will allow young scientists to propose their own research project in marine sciences (Labex Mer research Axis.) to be carried out in one or . The competitive awards are designed to further the education and training of the applicant with primary emphasis placed on the individual's research promise and relevance to
The postdoctoral appointment is for a period of two years. Recipients of the awards will receive a gross salary of about 2700€ per month. In addition, support is available for travel expenses, equipment, and supplies. Work contract will include national health and dental insurance, as well as retirement and unemployment benefits.
In order to be eligible, applicants must have received their doctoral degree within the past 3 years at the closing date of the call. This condition of 3 years maximum after the thesis is considered either from the defense date or the graduation date (most advantageous case) and can be extended in special cases (maternity, illness ...). Applicants showing more than 3 years after thesis (maximum 3 years + 6 months) will be considered if they can provide a support letter from one member of the LabexMER Scientific Committee.
Since this program is targeted at international young scientists, applicants holding a French doctoral degree are eligible for the award only if they demonstrate extensive international research experience acquired during or after their PhD. Successful applicants must be able to present a certified copy of their diploma, or a certified letter from the university officials stating that they have completed all of the requirements for their degree. It is also expected that candidates will have a command of the English language. Knowledge in French language is not required but the candidate should understand that they are expected to acquire basic knowledge of French during their postdoctoral appointment.
The candidates will submit an original research project relevant to one of the Labex research priorities, and propose collaboration with a local host. The local host(s) should be affiliated to one of the and be responsible for providing adequate office and laboratory space for the duration of the postdoctoral tenure. Communication with one or several potential LabexMER hosts prior to submitting an application is strongly encouraged.
In addition to the formal application form, the following are required:
- transcripts of the applicant's complete undergraduate and graduate records (including up to date transcripts from the applicant's current university for those who have not yet completed their Ph.D.).
- a current CV or resume that shows educational background and work experiences;
- a brief synopsis of the applicant's doctoral dissertation (one page abstract);
- a minimum of three recommendation letters (see Annex II file). Since we do not systematically contact referees to request letters, the candidate should direct their reference writers to the Labex administrator.
- a research project no longer than three pages, including references) describing research interests, in particular those that the applicant would like to pursue within the Labex Axis, as well as more general career plans and how a postdoctoral tenure within any of the Labex laboratories would complement their existing experience and preparation.
Deadline for submission is Tuesday, 30 April 2013
Application form has to be send to contact-labexmer[at]univ-brest.fr, with following subject : LabexMER - Application to post-doc fellowships 2013
from May to end of June 2013
Fellowship starting date
from September 2013 to March 2014